Monday, May 24, 2010

Welcome to A Sniffing Blog!

Hello, fifth graders of Rutherfordton Elementary School and the third graders of PS 23! Welcome to A Sniffing Blog!

This blog will follow me through my field season studying the land hermit crabs of Moorea, French Polynesia. My goals are (1) to collect hermit crabs in order to study how they sniff, or capture odors from the air, and (2) to measure the air flow and mixing that occurs in their natural habitat to get an idea of what sort of conditions they sniff in.

I will be traveling to Moorea, an island in French Polynesia. French Polynesia is a chain of about 130 islands in the South Pacific, closest to New Zealand (picture: Wikipedia.org). Moorea, right beside the biggest island Tahiti, is a volcanic island with a population of about 16,000.

I'll be staying at and near the Gump Field Station owned by the University of California, Berkeley. Right now, Gump is home to the Moorea Long Term Reef Ecology program and the BIOCODE program which study the ecology and diversity of life on and around the island. During my stay, I hope to talk to some of the scientists on these projects. I hope you can think up great questions to ask them!

My trip should be pretty fun. I will enjoy having you guys along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment