Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Letter from Vani at PS 23 in NJ

May 18, 2010

Dear Lindsay,

My name is Vani. I am 9 years old. I like many sports such as soccer. I have 1 brother and 2 sisters. Also I have many friends. They are all nice. Can you tell me a little bit more information about yourself? I will be happy if you do.

Mr Evangelista told me on his blog that you will be studying crabs in French Polynesia so I have a few questions for you about crabs. Where are crabs mostly found? How long is a crabs life span? Do all crabs live in the water and on beaches? Are all crabs meat eaters? These are the questions I have for you.
Good luck finding crabs in the field.

A third grad student,
Vani


Hi, Vani!

I am 26 years old, and I am finishing my fourth year of graduate school. I am from North Carolina. I have one younger sister who lives in Virginia and is very nice. We get along very well. I like to watch football and ride my bike. I also have a dog named Raleigh, and she really loves to play with me.

A Bromeliad CrabThe hermit crabs I will be studying in French Polynesia live on the land. They like to stick close to the water, so they you can find them on the beach and in the woods close to the beach. Hermit crabs can live for many years, some species live up to 30 years old!

Not all crabs live in the water or on beaches. There are some crabs that live in the jungle, up in plants called bromeliads (see the picture). When it rains, water gets caught in between the leaves of the bromeliads and create little ponds where the crabs live. They can also climb up and down the trees to find food and other crabs.

Not all crabs are meat-eaters, although most of them probably are. Most often crabs are scavengers that eat whatever they can find, stuff like dead animals, snails, and plants and algae. Some crabs only eat algae, but most eat whatever they can find!

I hope you are doing well, and thanks for your letter!

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment